Skip to main content

Sometimes you just need Pesticide!

My pumpkins are dying. Two months in, the leaves are yellow around the edges, one would think it was the heat, putting some strain on the poor babies. From the looks of one of the 11 pumpkins I planted, in a few weeks, the other ten like that one, may not make it.

To be fair, in my reading up on 'how to grow pumpkins from seed', I saw something about pests that follow when a plant germinates from the ground. The pests like me, are looking for food from the plant that's at the early stage of its life. The difference between us though, is that I get to consume the fruit much later on in the cycle - if it makes it.  Bugs, ants, flies that can inhibit the pumpkin plant's growth, never mind that, I was more interested in the seeing the green shoot out from beneath the soil. I wanted to see the transition from seed, to seedling, to plant, to fruit. I neglected to put as much study into the need to protect the plant from other things that want something from it.

It reminds me a little bit of life. When we set out to do something new, something in the early stages excites us about the journey ahead. The beginnings of the fruit of our labor, whether its that first chord progression we master in the first month of learning the guitar. Sometimes it's that first kg we lose on our journey to get into shape. But there's a point we plateau and sometimes it's because other things are demanding attention from the same energy source that's stirring us along on our journey to wherever we've set our minds to. We never thought about what we'd do when other things came. When the pests, or someone wants to go out for a coffee during the guitar practice time, or when there's a deadline to meet that's clashing with the work out we had planned to shed those pounds. What do we do then? I suppose we could decide what matters and prioritize. We adapt and plan around whatever needs us at the time so we don't compromise the goal. Or, we just buy pesticide and spray then heck on those plants to get rid of those pests, because if I let their needs infringe on my plant's needs, my plant won't make it. Sometimes you just need pesticide people. No messing around.

Sometimes you simply need to kill the things that are sucking the life out of you and preventing you from moving forward. I know my pumpkins need that. 

Now to find some environmentally friendly pest deterrents, so I don't hurt myself or the soil in the process, because I want to be eating pumpkin in two months.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30s, Never Married and like Whaaaat?

I've never been married and many peers my age are hitched and one to four kids in. RESPECT! My singleness doesn't bother me so much... right this moment. It has in the past though and probably will again in the future. That's life and as a dear colleague said to me "we humans are full of contradictions" agreed! So why is this awesome human that is me single? I have been asked. I haven't the foggiest clue, but I have in the past asked myself questions like "what's wrong with me? Am I lovable? Why won't they stay?" Responses like "there's nothing wrong with me, it's them... men are dogs, men don't commit anymore..." have come to the fore, but as I grow older (wisdom alert) I realize that sometimes, there was something wrong with me, and sometimes it really was them. I know for sure that not all men are dogs and some totally want to commit. How do we navigate this complexity then? Today, more women in their 30s have nev

A Successful Woman is her own Man?

Does Success Have a Gender? I had an interesting conversation with some fellaz last night and a statement stuck and really disturbed me. One of the gents chimed "the woman of today is her own man!" What?  Yeah, well here is how we got to that. When talking about the reasons the millennial woman marry, I proposed that now more than ever, this woman that includes myself, no longer feels the need to marry for economic reasons. She will most likely marry for love, companionship, to bare children, a myriad of reasons, with economic upliftment ranked lower in the motivations. Essentially she will marry because she wants to. Yes, extended family (and immediate) may put pressure, yes gold diggers exist (and hey that's a strategy in itself), but I'm talking about the self motivated, self assured woman - she will decide for herself, who she will marry and why, because she can. In the gentleman responsible for the comment's view, she is able to do the above because &quo

Isn't Culinary Prowess a Competitive Advantage?

It tastes good, I promise I'm confused. Like proper total perplex-ion (perplexity is the correct word, but perplex-ion expresses my total aghast-ness, oh making up words is fun). The Beginning I've always been that ninja chick, against type gal. I think that came from being sandwiched between two brothers as a middle child (I have two sisters as well, but I'm between the boys).  My closest play mates were dudes and I was a tom boy. A tom boy that loved to cook. Yeah, I would climb trees, play soccer (which I was lousy at), punch boys and make meat pies for my siblings and friends right after. The Middle Then I hit "Oh my gosh she has boobs-hood" a.k.a the awakening a.k.a adolescence. Boys weren't brothers any more, they were...interesting... at least some of them. Cooking for my siblings and friends around that age reduced because I went off to boarding school. But I do remember at the age of 14 I fell in like. I'd just mastered how to cook pap/