Skip to main content

SIDE HUSTLE BURN OUT

We are often told to have a game plan before you leave your day job and start life as a full time entrepreneur. Part of the game plan is making that entrepreneurial venture a side hustle.  When that side hustle starts to make you enough money to leave the day job, then you can safely go. Or when you have at least 6 months salary equivalent you can start your new independent life. But how often does this actually happen? And worse what happens when you burn out in the process of juggling both.

The choice in my journey was to get rid of my debts, get that six months padding and then say toodles. But that doesn't happen on its own.  It's rare that your current job can give you enough margin to achieve those financial objectives in the short time an impatient entrepreneur wants to get things going. So it's either the side hustle or freelance work that will bridge the money gap.  The challenge though is, those things require energy. In my case of product creation, my side hustle requires seed funding to pay wages, hire machinery and pay for licenses before I can make any income. Side hustles can be capital intensive and mine absolutely is. There was a time that in two years of implementing an exit plan, I found myself in a worse financial situation than when I started. The side hustle that was meant to be the thing I was leaving my day job for was making a loss. It was draining me of my current resources so that my day to day up keep was compromised. How could I possibly leave a sure thing to plummet into an abyss of uncertainty. No actually, there was certainty, this venture was expensive in my energy, money, emotions and time. Trying to juggle the side hustle without compromising the day job left me burnt out.

The mission six month buffer and financial cushion creation came at a high price and needless to say I was further away from it than when I first started.  I asked myself, why doesn't anyone ever talk about side hustle burn out? Making the cushion is made to sound easy. It really is not. Sometimes there are losses along the way before you get closer to realizing this goal.  I've heard stories of dream chasers like Yvonne Orji and her bestie Luvvie Ajayi on their podcast Jesus and Jolof. They specifically talked about how they left sure things, like a steady career paths or were retrenched with nothing before the big break came. But I made a choice to be organised, patient and strategic. Things did not got to plan. So what options is one left with?

I look at the time past and I have a few take outs:

  1. Side hustles can be as demanding as full time jobs so there's a point you have to make a choice to go all in and focus on it full time, dump the mission altogether or juggle both until you crack (or get fired).
  2. Side hustles can be costly, but the cost doesn't have to be a waste. There are lessons in everything. Some things just take longer than others to flourish. Understand the nature of the business or project you are pursuing. Are profits seen in the short, medium or long term? Then weigh weather you have the stamina to follow through till you see results. Be realistic, it may not be wise to keep pouring into something that's losing you value, unless there is an expected end beyond this. Creating milestones in the exit plan that allow you to measure key non-financial success factors of the mission helps you get perspective to see how to proceed. 
  3. Rest...there are enough hours in the day. Without you at your best there is no dream. 
  4. Do not compromise your performance in the day job for the side hustle. Treat both with respect. One day you will be that employer that has employees also doing their own things. You want them to be fully committed to you even when they are building passion projects. 
  5. Find community - talk to people on the same path as you. If you talk you will soon realise you are not alone, you can gain perspective. Collaborate where it feels right and learn from each other. There is power in community and shared vision.
  6. Find people who's dreams you can invest in with your skills and even with the side hustle you are busy with. It gets you out of your own head but also just giving back, the way people have or are serving you.  By helping build others, your cup can be filled as you sow a seed into someone else.
  7. Do something that has nothing to do with work or side hustles. Spend time with loved ones, develop non-business related hobbies. You are a whole person and having other interests reminds you that your value is not just in your work.
Can't say I'm doing all of these things, but I sure am gonna try! 

Happy full life, day job, side hustle, no hustle and all.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

30s, Never Married and like Whaaaat?

I've never been married and many peers my age are hitched and one to four kids in. RESPECT! My singleness doesn't bother me so much... right this moment. It has in the past though and probably will again in the future. That's life and as a dear colleague said to me "we humans are full of contradictions" agreed! So why is this awesome human that is me single? I have been asked. I haven't the foggiest clue, but I have in the past asked myself questions like "what's wrong with me? Am I lovable? Why won't they stay?" Responses like "there's nothing wrong with me, it's them... men are dogs, men don't commit anymore..." have come to the fore, but as I grow older (wisdom alert) I realize that sometimes, there was something wrong with me, and sometimes it really was them. I know for sure that not all men are dogs and some totally want to commit. How do we navigate this complexity then? Today, more women in their 30s have nev

A Successful Woman is her own Man?

Does Success Have a Gender? I had an interesting conversation with some fellaz last night and a statement stuck and really disturbed me. One of the gents chimed "the woman of today is her own man!" What?  Yeah, well here is how we got to that. When talking about the reasons the millennial woman marry, I proposed that now more than ever, this woman that includes myself, no longer feels the need to marry for economic reasons. She will most likely marry for love, companionship, to bare children, a myriad of reasons, with economic upliftment ranked lower in the motivations. Essentially she will marry because she wants to. Yes, extended family (and immediate) may put pressure, yes gold diggers exist (and hey that's a strategy in itself), but I'm talking about the self motivated, self assured woman - she will decide for herself, who she will marry and why, because she can. In the gentleman responsible for the comment's view, she is able to do the above because &quo

Isn't Culinary Prowess a Competitive Advantage?

It tastes good, I promise I'm confused. Like proper total perplex-ion (perplexity is the correct word, but perplex-ion expresses my total aghast-ness, oh making up words is fun). The Beginning I've always been that ninja chick, against type gal. I think that came from being sandwiched between two brothers as a middle child (I have two sisters as well, but I'm between the boys).  My closest play mates were dudes and I was a tom boy. A tom boy that loved to cook. Yeah, I would climb trees, play soccer (which I was lousy at), punch boys and make meat pies for my siblings and friends right after. The Middle Then I hit "Oh my gosh she has boobs-hood" a.k.a the awakening a.k.a adolescence. Boys weren't brothers any more, they were...interesting... at least some of them. Cooking for my siblings and friends around that age reduced because I went off to boarding school. But I do remember at the age of 14 I fell in like. I'd just mastered how to cook pap/